Public Media Bridge Fund announces new emergency and disaster programs

The Public Media Bridge Fund is rolling out two new programs to help stations facing unforeseen disruptions.
The fund, formed in response to the rescission of CPB’s federal funding and managed by Public Media Co., is launching a disaster recovery program and an emergency restructuring program.
The Bridge Fund has raised $66.5 million of its $110 million goal so far, according to Program Officer Allie Vanyur. In December, the fund announced it was awarding $26 million in its first round of stabilization grants to 74 organizations operating more than 180 radio and TV stations.
The disaster recovery program will provide a one-time payment of up to $100,000 to stations experiencing significant disruptions or equipment damage because of severe weather or other “major external incidents,” a news release said. The money could be used for restoring service, repairing or replacing equipment, and addressing temporary operating costs and urgent communication needs.
The emergency restructuring program will cover pro bono advisory services for stations facing a sudden external event, such as an institutional license sale or loss of a significant subsidy, the release said. Those services could include legal, financial and strategic guidance.
Limited financial help to prevent “imminent service loss” could also be provided, the release said.
“Our emergency grant programs are an extension of the Bridge Fund’s core mission to help guide public media through a crisis moment to a more sustainable and impactful future,” said Erik Langner, Public Media Bridge Fund executive director, in the release. “By supporting local stations navigating unforeseen disruptions — whether that’s a natural disaster or a sudden license divestiture — the Bridge Fund’s emergency grant programs will help ensure that all communities have access to local public media that keeps them safe, informed, and connected.”
Both of the new programs are based on historical needs and likely trends going forward, Vanyur said in a response to emailed questions from Current.
CPB historically assisted stations after natural disasters and extreme weather, and the fund wants to ensure similar emergency money is in place, according to Vanyur.
With the growing risk of states and universities cutting subsidies or selling licenses, the fund also wants to be sure that the system is prepared to “respond to unexpected events of that nature,” Vanyur said.
“It’s important to note that the emergency restructuring program is not designed to replace ongoing operational revenue or institutional subsidies, but rather provide an immediate pathway to secure public media service in the wake of extreme or unforeseen disruptions,” Vanyur said.
Applications for the new programs will be accepted on a rolling basis. Applicants must be FCC-licensed noncommercial public radio or TV stations that either qualified for CPB Community Service Grants by Sept. 30 of last year or are current members of the National Federation of Community Broadcasters.
“The aim of our emergency grant programs is to ensure that these critical services can and will continue, even in the face of unprecedented circumstances,” Vanyur said in the release.



