GBH plans to cut 15 positions by January

GBH's headquarters in Boston.
GBH in Boston announced Thursday that it is cutting 15 positions in its finance, marketing, technology and children’s programming departments.
“The loss of federal funding continues to ripple through our business. As contracts and seasons end, we’ve had to reduce our staff,” said CEO Susan Goldberg in a statement. “… We’re grateful for their work and for the support of our entire staff as we reimagine our work to meet this unprecedented moment.”
Some of the affected employees will leave the station immediately, while others will stay on through December or January, Goldberg said.
The cuts mark the fourth round of layoffs at GBH this year. In May, the station cut nine jobs from World, a multicast channel; in June, it cut 45 jobs across several departments; and in July, it laid off 13 employees who worked on American Experience, a nationally distributed history program.
Before the rescission of federal funding to public media, GBH was set to receive about 8% of its funding through CPB, or about $18 million for fiscal year 2026, according to a spokesperson. GBH is the largest station in public media.
GBH aims to raise $225 million with a three-year fundraising campaign in the wake of the federal funding cuts. The Fund the Future campaign, launched last month, has three goals: creating a unified documentary film unit that will support GBH’s nationally distributed programs Frontline, Nova and American Experience; ensuring that GBH’s educational programs and signature kids’ series like Arthur, Molly of Denali and Work It Out Wombats! reach their intended audiences; and creating a more sustainable business model “through digital innovation, distribution, and streaming opportunities,” according to a news release.
Goldberg told Current last month that the station is hoping to raise $70 million in the first year of the initiative.




